Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve - Laminated Stem Complete





The laminated stem of White Oak turned out pretty good. The excess epoxy will have to be sanded down, but the two pieces are matched up very well. The epoxy was allowed to sit for a minimum of 24 hours before removing the clamps, which gave the epoxy enough time to cure. This will be one hard stem, and it weighs about eight pounds in its present state. After I sand off the epoxy and get all six surfaces smooth, I will round-over the corners with my router to make it look a little better.
I also completed drawing out most of the main keel pieces on the plywood . You may have to look real close or enlarge the photo to see the pencil lines. I will draw out the rest of the keel pieces today on another piece of plywood. It is probably a wise idea to follow the layout of all the pieces shown on the plans, but I have already deviated. I am going to make sure I will have enough to use before moving on.
Merry Christmas to all. And yes, I do know that nobody is really reading this.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun project! I'll be following your progress. Let's see, you have built airplanes and now a boat. Is there a kit car in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother has a kit car Cobra that he has never started. You never know????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excitedly reading your blog, because I am getting ready to start on the same mini tug journey. VERY pleased to see what looks like a step by step description of everything!

    ReplyDelete