Saturday, December 26, 2009


Today I have spent my time cutting out the keel strengtheners and butt splice pieces to join the bottom and side keel pieces. The butt splice pieces were cut to 6" instead of the 4" on the plans for extra strength. Every little bit of strength will help in that area. I have only cut the four 20" keel strengtheners for now, as I don't know the exact sizes of the other three pieces until I begin to assemble the entire keel.
I also sanded down the excess epoxy on the White Oak stem and rounded all corners with a 1/4" roundover bit on my router table. Just sanding off the epoxy took nearly an hour, so I will try to be more careful with the squeeze out on the rest of the parts. It is much easier to squeegee off the excess epoxy during the assembly. This stem was hard to do that due to all the plastic I used to make sure no parts were epoxied together that shouldn't have been.
I also planed and sanded all of the edges of the plywood keel bottom and sides. The sides of the keel were clamped together and "matched up" during this.
Maybe I can get more done this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment