Monday, April 9, 2012

Boat Trailer Welded Up



Yesterday and Today, I welded up all of the trailer parts and made the Harbor Freight trailer into the boat trailer. I also welded up all of the connections on the Harbor Freight trailer, so if I need to, I can take out all of the bolts that now hold it together. I then cleaned and painted all of the welded areas, as well as the other side where the paint was burned off, the normal Smoke Gray.
All I need to do now is paint the trailer tongue and associated parts the Smoke Gray and attach the new coupler with the 1/2" x 3" bolts, then attach the wood for the bunks. I will also make one more modification to the front plate area by drilling a 1/2" hole and put one bolt through there. I don't know if I will weld it after that or not. It will not really be needed. I also need to put a tapered shim under the winch as the bar was welded on a little crooked.
I will not show any of the welds I accomplished as they were not great. Strong enough but not pretty. I used my Miller Econotig welder which is a tig welder and a stick welder. I used 6010 and 6013 electrodes, and I found I liked the 6013 better as they were easier to weld with and make a somewhat better looking weld. I was going to try tig welding alot of them, but my hose for my argon bottle broke when my bottle fell over. Need a new one now.
10 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment