Thursday, July 5, 2012

FIRST LAUNCH AND MAIDEN VOYAGE!!























July 4th, 2012 was a very special day!! I launched my new boat at my brothers cabin near Kingman, Kansas where he has about a 40 acre lake. Most of my immediate family was there to watch the launch and maiden voyage.
The boat was christened "Lil Bump" by my mother using a christening fluid (Mead (honey, water and yeast)) that I made back on Christmas Day 2005. It has become of age and is now very drinkable and tasty! Lil Bump loved it!!!
The boat ramp was pretty steep but it floated off of the trailer with no problems. The motor started right up the first time again and I was off. I did some slow cruising for a few minutes, then slowly stepped up the speed until I was going at full speed. I ran up with my son who was on his stand-up Jet Ski and he would barely pull ahead of me. His Jet Ski has been clocked at 42 mph, so I think I was doing at least 35 mph, maybe more!
Lil Bump is very stable when slow or when a full speed, even in the turns.
Those are my twin boys, Byron in the yellow life jacket helping launch the boat, and Matthew in my boat in the blue shirt.
Thanks to my dad, Bob Wiechman, who took all of the photos!!

2 comments:

  1. Estimated Todd, first of all I must congratulate you, is a great ship! I followed step by step the construction and it was great! I have only words of admiration for your work, thank you very much for sharing your experience with everyone and despite the distance I want you to know that I admire deeply, a hug from Argentina.
    P / D: sorry for the translation, is google jeje
    Marcelo Quiroga
    San Luis- Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Todd Wiechman,
    My name is Benjamin Teixeira, I am teacher at the Federal Institute of Santa Catarina. Teaching our students to build small sailboats and like and start building mini tugs with them, like yours.
    How could acquire the mini tug your plants?
    Congratulations on your work.
    greetings
    Benjamin

    benjamim.teixeira@ifsc.edu.br

    ReplyDelete