Monday, August 2, 2010

Scarffing the Bottom Panels




Last night I finally got to start the scarffing process. Scarffing or Scarphing? I am going with the Scarffing spelling, as that is the most common spelling I have found.
Anyway, scarffing is a big learning process that turned out to be very easy once I got the method down. On the first two panels I tried, I followed the recommendation of several boat builders and went up and down the scarfs. This method too over 1 1/2 hours before I was able to sand. I figured there had to be an easier way, so on the next two panels I tried going side to side, keeping the electric planer somewhat tilted the same direction of the final scarfs. This method took only about 15 minutes!! The sanding required afterwards was extremely easy after this method also!
Look closely at the photos and you will see over a foot of sawdust! And that is only from the second set!
I will try to get them glued together tonight. My epoxy and fiberglass showed up a few days ago, so I can really get moving on finishing this project.






No comments:

Post a Comment