Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Three Pieces of the Bottom Now One!



Tonight I cleaned up the scarfs that were cut the last couple of days and epoxied all three 4' x 5' panels together. I carefully lined up all of the pieces to make sure where they need to attach and keep the panels straight in both dimensions (across the edges and over the top of the panels). I don't want to have to fair them too much.
As you can see in the photos, I used 5 1/2" pieces of plywood on the top of each scarf, while using a 2" x 6" piece on the bottom. Screws were used to go through the top piece of plywood, through the scarfed areas, and then into the 2" x 6" piece to hold everything together tight. I then added as much weight on top of the pieces of plywood as I could find. The one with the hand weights added up to 340 lbs total while the other one was probably close, but I have no real idea. All I know was everything was pretty heavy, especially the vise!
Tomorrow or the next day I will take everything apart and see how it went. The epoxy must cure at least 24 hours before disassembly or things might come apart.
This piece after being epoxied together is now 11' 3" long and 5' wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment